Thursday, July 10, 2008

Battling the Buzzing Nemesis

Battling the Buzzing Nemesis
by Fred Alberti, Crosswalk.com Senior Manager of Social Media

In an effort to improve my health I have added trail running to my morning regimen. So five days a week I strap on my New Balance All-Terrain running shoes, throw on a cap, grab my big stick, and set off through the field for the woods.

As much as I struggle with getting up early for this activity I find that I have it better than the many woodland creatures that are constantly awakened by this weird guy crashing through the brush. Most of them quickly get up and take off. However, some, like the buck that lives on the property, will make their displeasure known before bounding away. These don't bother me, and no, the big stick is not for them.

I reserve the big stick for the many spider webs I encounter on my journey. I'd much rather the stick bear the brunt of the webs and the spiders that guard them than my face.

Even so equipped there is one more thing I must fend off. I don't know what it is exactly. What I do know is that it is big, buzzes loudly, and loves to swoop at my face. No matter how fast I run or how much I swat or flail my arms this buzzing bug will not be deterred from its mission to strike my heart with terror and my mind with distraction.

The Bible says in 1 Peter 5:8 that Satan, "prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

For the child of God, the Devil is much like my buzzing nemesis. His goal is to strike fear, discouragement, and divisiveness into the heart of the believer while distracting him from completing the task God has designed for His purposes.

I've found that bug repellent is an excellent solution for my dilemma. I spray it on and I am, for the most part, left alone.

Have you been struggling with a buzzing nemesis?

God too, gives us the equipment we need to "extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one" and to stay focused on Him. It's called the Shield of Faith and you can learn about that as well as the rest of the armor of God in Ephesians 6:10-18.

Intersecting Faith & Life: Take the family camping or go hiking and remind them as you spray on the bug repellent that just as it protects them from the effects of biting insects so the blood of Jesus Christ protects us from the "wages" of sin.

Further Reading
The Shield of Faith
Ephesians 6:10-18
The Power of Prayer

----------------------

Did you enjoy this devotional? Check out the rest of Crosswalk.com - The Devotional: Click Here

No comments: